PLANNING PERMISSION for 41 HOUSES in Deepcar has been recommended for approval by the Sheffield City Council Planning and Highways Committee.
The proposal has come under opposition from local councillors and action groups who are unhappy with the consequences of the project.
Councillor Francyne Johnson, Labour councillor for the Stockbridge and Upper Don ward, officially objected to the proposal ahead of the meeting.
On the agenda, which can be found on the council’s website, Cllr Johnson says the access point for the site is not safe because of the incline of the road, parked vehicles and the road being a bus route.
She also says the proposed site is currently used for water run off with any new development on the site being at risk of flooding and putting more of the community at risk too.
ShefNews contacted the Sheffield branch of the developers, DLP Consultants, for their view on the objections. Unfortunately, we have not had a response.
The proposal for 41 “dwelling houses” just off Wood Royd Road is believed by the Committee to not impact road safety and that there would not be “severe” impacts to traffic in the area.
The houses would be built on greenfield land and the work would feature the partial demolition of a farmhouse which dates back to the late 18th century.
A Heritage Impact Assessment said there is “moderate potential for the proposed development to impact upon archaeological remains within the site, with these likely to be associated with the 18th and 19th century mining and farming activities.”
Last year, another development proposal near Deepcar which was to be double the size was rejected by the Planning Committee.
That proposal was to build 93 houses in a new “village” on the nearby Hollin Busk with the planning application taking three years to be decided upon.
The Hollin Busk proposal was recommended for approval by the planning department but was eventually overruled by the Planning Committee who blocked the proposal.
John Hesketh, the Chairman of the Upper Don Action Group called the delay in blocking the proposal “a disgrace”.
He said: “Nearby residents have been living over 3 years with this proposal. Through all this time, local people have had to put up with uncertainty about their neighbourhood.”
The Planning and Highways Committee Meeting takes place on Tuesday 23 February and can be watched live via a webcast on democracy.sheffield.gov.uk.